Thursday, 25 June 2009

Steven Wells, RIP.


Steven Wells, once of the most singular, hilarious and memorable individuals in British journalism of recent times has died.

I grew up reading his vitriolic energised pieces since my mid teens - Swells was a human bullshit detector and one of the best swearers in the business. A great writer who never did anything by halves. Though I never had a conversation with the man but our paths neared one another's many times - in the lifts at IPC (I was at Melody Maker, he at NME), at gigs, in magazines, in print anthologies. The music business is a fairly small place.

I'm not going to get all sentimental but the afterlife has just welcomed a guy with a really big mouth. It probably needs a shake up up there anyway.

If he exists, God has his work cut out dealing with this mad fucker.





1 comment:

Jerry said...

Dude, absolutely.
http://everetttrue.wordpress.com/2009/06/25/steven-wells-r-i-p/